Monday, December 31, 2012

DIY Personalized Mini Notebook

DIY Personalized Mini Notebook

I love to keep little journals & inspiration books, but sometimes I find it hard to either pick a book or even just fill it. I found this tutorial on one of my favorite DIY blogs (I'll post the source below) & was super excited to try it out. Last night I made one for meyself (pictured) to try it out, and then this morning I tried another for my mom. They both turned out beautiful, so I hope you enjoy this project. It get's a bit involved so make sure you have a lot of space, and about one hour. 

Supplies:
✄ a cereal box, or other thin cardboard box
✄ scissors or an X-Acto knife
✄ assorted magazines or catalogs
✄ a glue stick
✄ ruler
✄ 10-20 sheets of paper
✄ paper cutter
✄ a sewing machine(with sewing materials) or a stapler
✄ paper clips or binder clips
✄ duct tape (optional)

The first step to creating your mini notebook is cutting the cereal box to the right size. I was using a Kellogg's  All-Bran Original box, that is smaller than normal cereal boxes. I decided to use the whole front of the box, which measured about 10 inches by 6 1/4 inches. 
The next step is also pretty easy. Lightly score the center of the piece of cardboard with your X-Acto knife. Now, fold the piece in half along the score. If it is uneven, don't try to refold it, or you will end up with rips and wrinkles. Simply, keep it shut and cut of the excess on one side. Now you should have a perfectly folded piece of cardboard. 
This is the funnest step, in my opinion! Rip out your favorite pages in magazines, catalogs, or newspapers. Cut out the picture you like or a snippet  of the page.  I keep a GIANT pile of old magazines in my moms office at all times. It's a good idea to always keep them on hand. When you are done reading them put them away in a neat place for more crafts later. I feel like every time I get rid of them, I always need them for a project after, so I always keep 
Step number four is so straight forward. Spread glue onto the whole page (do each page one at a time).
Step five is also very easy & simple. Place your pictures & snippets onto the glue in a cute & random order. Don't worry about the edges sticking out, or pictures overlapping. The more random the more artsy it will look. Make sure to cut along the edge of the cardboard after, to guarantee no corners are sticking out. 
Place your stack of paper the long way onto the open book. Try to center it as much as you can, and clip it on with binder clips or paper clips. Make sure the book is flat when doing this to guarantee the right alignment. 
The next step step is one where you need to be very careful. Align the edge of the cardboard with the blade and slowly slice off the excess paper. Try not to cut off any cardboard, while still getting the paper to be aligned with the cardboard.
It should now look like this. 
This step is what I found the hardest part of the project. First off change your needle. Make sure you have one that is strong enough to go through multiple layers of paper & cardboard. Also make sure you have the right color thread you want to use. I used a tan color to match the cardboard & a white to match the paper. Even though it may seem simple you must be careful. Sew a straight line down the center of the book. I recommend keeping the cardboard face up so that you can see the center more easily. Make sure to go slowly, in case a needle breaks. 
This step is optional, but it gave our notebooks a cute flare. It add's a unique touch, and I also recommend it as it helps keep the spine together. Just cut a strip of duct tape the length of the spine and center it over the stitches, It should keep them in place & add a personalized spine.
I hope you enjoyed this DIY! I had a lot of fun making them, and they turned out so darn cute! They even make great gifts for friends, just change the pictures to ones they will like. Comment how yours turned out.

Inspired by: http://www.fineandfeathered.com/blog/2011/10/faux-molskine-notebooks.htmlhttp://www.fineandfeathered.com/blog/2012/02/notebooks.html#comment-captcha

ttyl xox, Penelope 

No comments:

Post a Comment